Skip to main content

Senate to Pass Critical Bills Before New Legislative Year

THE Senate Leader, Chief Victor Ndoma-Egba, has given the assurance that despite the busy period of electioneering for 2015, all critical bills in the Senate will be passed before the end of their tenure.

Chatting with some newsmen in Calabar yesterday, he said: "I want to assure Nigerians that the very critical bills will be passed. The budget, PIB and few others will be passed. We will prioritised the bills and those that are low hanging we will ensure that we plug them. But there is no parliament in the world that can pass every bill in the system. We will definitely take those bills that are readily impactful on the society and the economy.

On Bakassi issue, he said factually that Bakassi is longer in Nigeria but constitutionally; it is still part of our constitution. So, the issue has not been completely resolved in Nigeria.

Commenting on the East-West road as it affects Cross River, he said: "The road will now terminate in Calabar. The initial plan was for it to terminate in Akwa Ibom, but its extension to Calabar has been approved and I strongly believe the Akwa Ibom-Calabar section of the road will probably be finished before the rest of the road.

Commenting on the issue of sharing senatorial positions in Central Senatorial District on the basis of Federal Constituencies, Ndoma-Egba said political positions are not shared like that, saying: "I have been around long enough to know the Cross River political thinking and don't forget that I have served as a boy to very prominent politicians, I worked with Chief Akoi Arikpo, Dr. Joseph Wayas and Chief I. I. Murphy. When it comes to sharing senatorial district, it has always been old Ikom and old Obubra.

"I have never heard it that a senatorial position is shared on federal constituencies. It will be political comical to share a senatorial sit on the basis of the federal constituency. At what point did we stop the sharing arrangement with old Ikom and old Obubra. My colleague (Owan-Enoh) comes from Etung, which is old Obubra. So, if they are being honest about this new arrangement, I am the leader of the Senate and I don't recall in any meeting where decisions were taken to review or revive the old sharing formula. I am not aware of any such meeting. And if there was such a meeting, who was in attendance and when was that decision taken? So, for me it is just a convenience argument, it does not make sense."

He re-emphasised that his relationship with the state governor, Senator Liyel Imoke, was cordial, saying: "If I want to do things, I make sure that all the processes are followed. I went to him, he didn't oppose it, he said it makes sense. Forget the speculations you hear outside. Has the governor ever openly said he is opposed to me? He has never said it, it is just speculation."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW DO YOU WANT TO BE REMEMBERED?

Genesis 32:24-32 I read recently about a man who had passed away and what they wanted the funeral parlor to do with the body. This man was a big Pittsburgh Steelers fan, and this is how the family wanted him remembered. So they told the funeral director that instead of placing his body in a coffin, they wanted the man placed on a recliner, with a television playing Pittsburgh Steelers highlights. Next to him there was to be a table with an open can of beer and a package of cigarettes. This is how his family remembered him, and this is how the family wanted the rest of his friends and loved ones to remember him. This was the lasting impression that was imprinted on the minds of people who knew him. The question I have for you today is a simple one: How do you want people to remember you? One day all of us are going to die, and how would you want people to remember you? Some of us might die soon, and some of us might not die for a while, and we have all heard that statement about lasti...

FG planning to ban porn sites

                    The Nigerian government has said that it is planning to introduce a law banning all pornographic websites in the country. This was disclosed by the National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki on Sunday, January 25, in Kaduna. Dasuki revealed this at the closing ceremony of a three-day workshop on use of social media organized for Islamic preachers, Imams and youths in the state.              The NSA, who was represented by the Minister of Special Duties, Kabiru Turaki , said: “Government is planning to ban and block websites that inculcate negative attitudes in our children but we need a law to support such move.” “Because without a law, people can go to court and claim infringement on their rights,” he added. The workshop, aimed at correcting anomalies in the use of social media, was organised by the national body of I...

EBOLA VIRUS ALL YOU WANT TO KNOW

Ebolavirusdisease(EVD) orEbolahemorrhagic fever(EHF) is the human disease caused by the ebola virus. Symptoms typically start two days to three weeks after contracting thevirus, with a fever, throat and muscle pains, and headaches. There is then typically nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, along with decreased functioning of the liverand kidneys. At this point, some people begin to have problems with bleeding. [ 1 ] The disease is usually acquired when a person comes into contact with the blood or bodily fluidsof an infected animal such as a monkey or fruit bat. Fruit bats are believed to carry and spread theviruswithout being affected by it. Once infection of a human occurs, the disease may be spread from one person to another. Men who survive may be able to transmit the disease via their semenfor nearly two months. To make the diagnosis, typically other diseases with similar symptoms such as malaria, choleraand other viral hemorrhagic feverare first excluded. The blood may then be teste...